We ripped up the carpet and painted the floor!

Yes, we painted the floor. We have hated the Berber carpet in our home since day 1. It seems to shed fine fibers that coat everything in the house in a thick layer of dust. Our walk-in closet seemed to be the worst place. So we have started there.

Ripping up the carpet and pad exposed the rough plywood underneath. Nothing special here. It was what we expected. Lots of staples and nails removed. Hubby made sure all the screws were screwed down under the surface.....



And LOTS of wood filler and sanding later.......



THEN it was finally time to paint. We choose Bear Rug by BEHR at Home Depot. Gave it 3 coats. The lines between the plywood sheets disappeared.


Then coated it with varnish for 5 more coats.....


We have to nail in the molding "shoe" as the finishing touch.

We love it! It feels smooth, like vinyl and it will be a cinch to clean. Yes, hardwood would look lovely.....but that may come later when the budget review committee approves it. ;-)

Next room is the master bedroom. That will be a big job! Will post pics as we get into it.

I'm linking up to Between Naps on the Porch's Met Monday. Click on the butterfly to see more "Before and After" posts from creative bloggers:




5 comments:

Teresa said...

I like it. I have painted my hardwood floor in my bedroom, white. the floors were not very nice and I didn't have the stamina for the sanding or the patience to have someone doing it with all the dust and varnish etc... so White porch paint with a high gloss after sanding them a bit. works great. cleans easy looks wonderful! Cheap too!

Maya @ Completely Coastal said...

Great solution!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! After reading what you were planning on doing, my minds eye couldn't and didn't expect such a fabulous transformation. Kudos!!!

Sherry said...

Oh my goodness, I think you've inspired me! I need to take up my Berber carpet, too, and I simply can't afford to replace it right now. I've been trying to decide what to replace it with, and I think your floor looks just amazing. I love the color and the shine. And I'll bet it would be really durable--especially with pets! Thanks!

Baylee - The Discount carpet Expert said...

My Berber Carpet is still fine. It always seems to look like it was installed yesterday. It rarely ever shows footprints, and it doesn't even show the lines from vacuuming. Just my thoughts!